I’ve made these several times and also made them from the purchased box that Auntie Anne’s sells at their stores and now at Walmart. With a few simple ingredients, you can have Auntie Anne’s baking at home! You can control the salt and butter, add your own fillings and toppings or even make your own cinnamon raisin pretzel that they stopped making a few years ago.
**This is one of my old photos from my old camera. 🙂 I’ve changed a little in my photography since then. **
Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
yield 10 pretzels
from Todd Wilbur’s book “Top Secret Recipes”
1 1/4 cup warm water
1T and 1/4t yeast
3 3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup and 2T powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2T vegetable oil
4 cup warm water
1/2 cup baking soda
1/4c melted butter
kosher salt or pretzel salt or cinnamon/sugar (1/2 cup sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon)
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water and let sit.
2. Combine flour, powdered sugar and salt. Add yeast and oil. Knead 5 minutes.
3. Let rise 45 minutes. Preheat oven 425 degrees.
4. Make a bath for the pretzels using the 4 cups of warm water and 1/2 cup of baking soda. Roll dough 8 pieces 3 feet long. Dip in the baking soda bath for about 20-30 seconds. Then place on greased baking sheet.
5. Bake 4 minutes. Turn and bake 4 minutes. Brush with melted butter and salt with kosher salt, pretzel salt, etc.