Everyone has their own version of chicken potpie. I wanted to make a version of potpie with no “cream of” soups. No more canned anything, but still wanted a fast recipe. This recipe came out thinner than canned potpie versions, but made up for it in taste. The whole thing was gobbled up.
yield 4-6 servings
16 oz. bag of frozen mixed veggies (cut corn, carrots, green beans and peas)
2 Tbs. butter
2 chicken breasts, chopped into little pieces
2 Tbs. diced onion
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup half and half (or 1/4 cup cream and 1/4 cup milk)
1 tsp. dried parsley or 1 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
1 – 9″ round pie pastry
1. Preheat oven 400 degrees. In large skillet, melt butter. Add chicken and cook until cooked through. Add onion and cook 2 more minutes.
2. Stir flour into chicken mixture. Add broth, half and half and parsley. Bring to a simmer, then cover with a lid. Reduce your heat to low and simmer for another 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the frozen veggies. Add some salt and pepper to season. Pour mixture into a 9″ pie pan.
4. Lay the pie crust over the potpie mixture and press the dough into the rim. Cut 3-4 slits into the dough.
5. Place pie pan onto a cookie sheet to guard against spillage and bake for 30 minutes. I use a pie crust shield on all my pies, but that is up to you. Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma “Cooking at Home” by Chuck Williams