Instead of using oil, I try to find alternate methods for moisture in quick breads. Applesauce is fine, but doesn’t lend a ton of flavor. However, this apple butter banana bread does hit the spot! Not as fattening as a full stick of butter, this bread is quick and full of banana as well as a healthy dose of apple butter. I get no sugar added apple butter from the co-op which is made by a farm family. I believe they sell apple butter in the megamarts as well, and it is really popular around the fall. But you can preserve it for year round!
It takes me way more than $2.75 to make a half pint of apple butter, so I always just buy it.
Even if you have your favorite go-to recipe, try this technique for the top of your banana bread! It is so pretty!
Apple Butter Banana Bread
yield one loaf
1 and 1/2 cups AP flour
1 and 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup sugar (or sugar substitute like Splenda)
1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas (2), the browner the more banana flavor
1/2 cup apple butter
1/4 cup canola oil or applesauce
1 banana, sliced in 1/4″ slices
2 tsp. sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×5″ loaf pan with shortening or spray with Baker’s Joy.
2. In large bowl, mix the dry stuff: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
3. In smaller bowl, mix the wet stuff: eggs, sugar, bananas, apple butter and oil or applesauce.
4. Add wet stuff to the dry stuff and stir until just combined. Pour into pan.
5. Shingle banana slices on top of loaf in 2 rows, leaving 1.5″ wide space down the center. Sprinkle sugar on top
6. Bake 45-50 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test and comes out clean. Cool slightly and eat. Or Cool completely and freeze in a ziplock bag with all the air sucked out (I do this with a straw!)
Recipe from Better Homes and Garden Cookbook and topping idea from Cook’s Illustrated Cookbook
Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more says
yum, and I love how you put bananas on top too!
Amber @ Recipes We Love says
Oh I love apple butter and banana bread. i bet this is delicious!