This recipe is from the Trader Joe’s website. It could be made with anything from a typical grocery store though. Quick and ready to go in half an hour. All of the ingredients are freezable, so it is possible to freeze these ahead of time. Most of the time the bread is soaked in the egg overnight, but I liked the soggy egg and crispy bread contrast. It would be great with some maple syrup on top too I bet.
Sausage Egg Bake
yield 4-6 servings
1 demi-loaf of french bread (this is half the size of a normal loaf)
6 large eggs or 5 XL eggs
1/4 cup milk
salt and pepper
2-3 sausage links, precooked (I used sweet apple chicken sausage)
Optional Toppings: shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese, garlic powder (but don’t use that on sweet apple sausage – put on something more savory)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8×8 or 9×9 pan with non-stick foil or parchment. You could grease it well, but you may end up scrubbing some egg off of the pan.
2. Tear the bread into about 1″ pieces and scatter on the bottom of the pan and cover.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour on top of bread.
4. Cut the sausage into 1/2″ pieces and then scatter on top of the egg/bread mixture.
5. Bake for 25 minutes. If using cheese, put it on about 15 minutes before the time is up or when you first put the pan in the oven.
I live in Arizona and right now it is 109 degrees outside. I bought a SunOven a few months ago; this recipe is one I am going to try in my SunOven 🙂