Yummmm blueberries. These are really easy to make and great for transporting. You don’t need pie plates and forks nor spoons for a crumble. Just grab a bar of antioxidants and go! Well… there’s some fat in there. But it’s not margarine, so it’s okay, right? This thing on….?
The recipe makes a whole lot. Unless you are going to a huge potluck, perhaps make half the batch instead or freeze the leftovers. You can easily get 25-36 bars out of here and when you combine that with food other people might bring you may have to give this to your hubby, so his co-workers can eat them. His poor co-workers. I haven’t been baking in this heat. However, they have a keg and masseuse in their office, so I think they’ll be okay.
Blueberry Crumble Bars
yield 25 or 36 servings, depending on how small you cut them
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest and juice of 1 lemon (if you freeze your zest ahead of time, this is about 2 Tb.)
1 cup cold unsalted butter (2 sticks or 8 oz.), cubed
4 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. ”
2. Take a 13×9 casserole dish (pyrex let’s you see the pretty layers) and spray with cooking spray.
3. In a bowl, mix the sugar, baking powder and flour together. Add salt and zest of the lemon.
4. Cut in the butter and egg with fingers (try and use the tips because the palms are warm), pastry cutter, butter knives or forks. You should have a lot of nice crumbs.
5. Take half of the mixture (weigh it to be extremely accurate) and press into the pan.
6. In second bowl, mix the blueberries, sugar and cornstarch. Take this blueberry mix and pour on top of the pressed crust in the pan. Then, sprinkle the remainder of that butter crumble mixture you have left. Bake for 45-60 minutes. Top will be light golden.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says
Those are gorgeous! Now I wish I had them for breakfast. 🙂
Yum! Now I wish I had gotten those blueberries I was debating at Sam’s on Thursday!