This was on my to-make list forever and I finally got around to it. This was dee-licious!!! Totally easy and worth making. I left out the caramel drizzle and didn’t miss it – but have fun with it. Add caramel sauce or ice cream or eat it hot or cold – it’s all good.
If you use the boxed pre-made crust that you roll out, you can freeze them and they still work great! If you realize that your pie crust is in the freezer and you want to make this, try to thaw it on the counter. Need it right this minute?? Put the frozen crust in the microwave on defrost and watch the time. Say your children distract you and you have a gooey pie crust mess on your hands in the microwave…. then, just mush it up in a ball and re-roll the entire thing out. It works. Trust me.
Apple Crisp Pizza
Single-crust pie crust (usually 9 inches in the box)
2/3 cup sugar
3 Tb. Flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tb. lemon juice (optional)
4 apples (I like Granny Smith, but Gala, Jonathon or Empire would do well), peeled and diced
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 Tb. unsalted butter
dash of salt (or use salted butter instead of the salt addition)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. First, I rolled the pie crust into a 12″ circle. Then, I took the edge and roll it up towards the middle a little bit. This resulted in it looking like the “pizza” crust edge.
2. In a great big bowl, mix the sugar, flour, cinnamon and apples. Set aside. If you are worried about browning like I am, throw in a tablespoon of lemon juice.
3. In a medium bowl, mix up the flour, brown sugar, oats, and cinnamon. Cut the butter in with a pastry cutter or your fingers to form coarse crumbs.
4. Pile the apples onto the pie crust. Sprinkle the topping on and bake 35-40 minutes.
5. Drizzle with caramel if you like.
Recipe from Taste of Home