Most of us here in St. Louis are very familiar with ooey gooey butter cake. It is a dense layer of yellow cake underneath a luscious gooey layer of cream cheese. Very easy to make and this one is, too! I found this recipe was really good the same day, but even better when refrigerated and eaten slightly or mostly cold. This might be why I see professional bakeries around here store their gooey butter cake in the fridge! Ah Ha! I found your secret 😉
In personal news, I have been busy reading “Bridge to Terabithia” and I forgot how sad that book is at the end! Now, I am reading “The Outsiders” by Hinton and it reminds me so much of “Catcher in the Rye”. I wonder which one was written first…. I’ll have to look that up.
Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake
yield 16-24 servings (1 – 9×13 cake)
2 sticks of butter, melted separately
1- 18.25 oz. package of chocolate cake mix
1 – 8oz package of cream cheese
4 Tb. cooca powder
16 oz. powdered sugar (1 box)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a big bowl, mix 1 melted stick of butter, the cake mix and ONE egg. Mix until all combined.
3. Spray or grease a 9×13 pan. Now press that chocolate cake mixture into the pan. It may take a while. I can wait.
4. In another big bowl, beat the cream cheese until it is smooth. Add TWO eggs and the cocoa powder. Scrape and mix. On low, add the powdered sugar. Once mixed in, drizzle the 1 melted stick of butter and vanilla. Mix that all up really well on low.
5. Stir in your nuts if you are using them. Pour the cream cheese mixture on top of the cake layer. Now bake for about 40-50 minutes. Since this is a gooey cake – your cake tester will never come out completely clean like a regular cake. Just watch and most of the cake will be done and the center will be gooey after 40 minutes. Don’t overbake. Mine had crackles on top until the center. I put mine on a rack to cool after baking it for 40 minutes and the center finished cooking on the rack.
Recipe from Paula Deen