Another hit from my America’s Test Kitchen book “Comfort Food Makeovers”. This was sooooo good. Comfort food to the max – burger and cheese in pie form. The calorie count is 270 calories, 12 grams of fat and 5 grams of saturated fat. My topping isn’t as pretty as theirs because I had lots of regular American cheese to use up instead of reduced fat. So, I reduced the cheese instead. This was so easy and good. Even the leftovers were yummy microwaved.
2 – 10″ flour tortillas
4 oz. reduced fat American cheese*, shredded (1 cup) (I tore up pieces of my existing cheese)
1 tsp. oil
1 onion, chop fine
2 garlic cloves, mince
1 pound of 93% lean ground beef
3 Tb. flour
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 Tb. ketchup
2 tsp. Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp. mustard (plain yellow kind) (reduce or omit if you don’t like mustard. You can really taste it)
salt and pepper
1/3 cup dill pickle slices (I eyeballed the amount)
1 tomato, core, seeded and sliced thin (like 1/4″ thick)
*America’s Test Kitchen Recommended Boar’s Head brand
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (375 degrees for convection). Spray a 9″ pie plate with cooking spray. Microwave your tortillas for about 30 seconds. Gently mold 1 tortilla into the pie plate. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of American cheese on it. Then, mold the second tortilla on top. Spray some cooking spray on top and bake 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
2. In a 12″ skillet on medium heat, add your oil. Then add the onion and cook with the cover on for 5 minutes – until soft. Take off the lid and add in your garlic for 30 seconds. Add in your beef and cook about 5 minutes – it does NOT have to be completely brown. You can have some pink because we will cook it more later.
3. Add the flour. Cook that 1 minute and stir it in.
4. Stir in your broth, ketchup, Worcestershire and mustard. Turn the heat to medium low and simmer for about 3-5 minutes. It will get thicker. Add salt and pepper.
5. Pour your meat mixture into the tortilla pie plate.
6. Layer on top the pickles.
7. Layer the tomato.
8. Layer the 3/4 cup american cheese.
9. Bake 10 minutes or so – until the cheese is melted. Cool a little bit and eat!
Recipe from America’s Test Kitchen Comfort Food Makeovers