Most of my friends do not can their own jam. It requires extra things like jars, lids, stockpots, funnels and baskets. BUT, you can make your own jam still! Here is how to make your own jam without even using a stove.
You need a LARGE bowl for this. I used my Pampered Chef batter bowl if you have one. I loved that it has a lid and a handle, so I can take the bowl in and out of the microwave without burning my hand. If you don’t have one that is fine. A batter bowl is 8 cups, so I would try to use a large microwave safe bowl about that size.
2 cups (10 oz.) berries (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, mango, cherries, etc.)
1/3-1/2 cup sugar – depending on taste and how sweet the berry is. I like 1/2 cup myself.
1/8 tsp. salt
2 Tb. fresh lemon juice
1. Run the berries through the blender – or better – the food processor and pulse until they are quite small and almost mushy. You can skip this step if you like chunky jam, and instead mash your fruit after the cooking process with a food masher.
2. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine all of your ingredients. Stir them around a bit.
3. Microwave the berries for 5 minutes.
4. Stir gently and cook another 5 minutes. At this time, you should have a jam that is just slightly thick and glistening. Don’t worry! It will thicken in the fridge! Or you can use it now on some pancakes or waffles…
5. Store covered in the fridge overnight. In the morning, you will have thick jam!
I used half strawberries and half mango (I thawed the frozen mango ahead of time). I used strawberries. My next project is wild blueberries.