This is a kid-friendly, family-friendly, summer-friendly recipe that has been updated from a typical pudding and oreos 9×13 slab. The kids love the worms and “dirt” made of crushed Oreo cookies (or Trader Joe’s Jo Jo’s)
Dirt Cup Trifle
serves 16-20 people (you may want to halve the recipe for a smaller group)
15 oz. Chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies (like Oreos or Jo Jo’s)
2 – 3.9 oz. boxes of instant chocolate or instant chocolate fudge pudding
4 cups milk
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
8 oz. (1 tub) whipped topping, (Cool Whip or House Whip or TruWhip)
1. Crust the cookies in a plastic bag or in the food processor until it looks like “dirt”.
2. Just like the package says: mix the pudding mix and milk together. Whisk together for 2 minutes.
3. While the pudding sits, beat cream cheese and sugar together in a bowl on medium speed. Just for a minute until it is incorporated.
4. Fold in the whipped topping.
5. Fold the cream cheese/whipped topping mixture into the pudding mixture.
6. Layer 1/3 of the oreo cookies on the bottom of your trifle bowl. Layer 1/2 the pudding mixture. Add another 1/3 of cookies. Add the rest of the pudding mixture on top. Dump the rest of the cookies on top. Store in the fridge to firm up for about 2-4 hours. Serve with gummy worms on top.
Recipe idea from Kraft foods; ingredients and method I whisked together