Good morning!!! I have so much to tell you. First of all, I was in the Dominican Republic last week. Since we stayed at the super awesome Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, I couldn’t make or cook anything. They give you room service just like on a cruise – whenever and whatever you want! My husband and I went by ourselves (Thanks Grandma, Grandpa, Maggie, Sarah and Kathleen!) and had the best vacation ever. Hard Rock really does make you feel like a rock star. Here are some of my favorite photos and some of the resort.
Of course, I read lots of books as well and I will get to those later. But first the recipe!
This was a relatively fast and easy recipe. Rolling each lasagna up made it look pretty, but was a little time consuming. The flavors were delicious – especially since the tomatoes were fresh and home-grown. I love everything Caprese!
Caprese Lasagna Roll-Ups
yield 8 servings
8 lasagna noodles (not the No Boil)
14 oz. shredded mozzerella
3/4 cup Ricotta cheese
1 egg or 1 egg white
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
4-5 Roma or small tomatoes the size of a lasagna noodle, sliced 1/4″ thick
1/4 cup fresh basil, sliced thin
1 cup marinara sauce*
*Marinara sauce: you can purchase this premade. I opened a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes and added 1 Tb. of the Wildtree Spaghetti blend right into the can and stirred it. That’s it! Or you could take a little oil and onion, saute with some garlic and oregano/basil/salt/pepper and add 28 oz. crushed tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes.
1. Bring a large stockpot filled with water to a boil and boil the lasagna noodles. I had trouble fitting them in a Dutch Oven, but the stockpot would be tall enough.
2. Add your lasagna noodles once water is boiling and cook per the box directions. Drain, and do not rinse.
3. Turn on the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 7×11 pan with cooking spray. Add about 1/2 cup of marinara sauce to the bottom of the pan.
4. While the noodles cool, make the cheese mixture: combine your Ricotta cheese and egg. Add 12 oz. mozzarella and Parmesan. Mix that up really well. Add some black pepper to taste.
5. Now time to assemble! Take you noodle and lay it flat.
Layer 4 slices of tomato.
Sprinkle with basil.
Roll your lasagna noodle up from the short side. Place seam side down into the pan.
6. Add about 1-2 Tb. of marinara sauce on top of the noodle. Repeat with all the noodles.
7. Before putting in the oven, feel free to add some more cheese on top.
8. You can cover the top with a piece of foil sprayed with cooking spray to keep the edges from getting too crispy. Or leave it off if you like that.
9. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil if you used it and Bon Appetit! Feel free to top with more shredded basil!
Recipe from Cooking Classy