Book Update: I’m still plowing through “How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk” and agree with almost everything. Except they mention how parents don’t listen to what their kids are saying like “I’m hungry” even when the child just ate. Indeed, they could still be hungry. But sometimes kids are just plain wrong. Like “I’m not tired” and then they fall asleep 2 minutes later! I guess everything in moderation, but overall this book really rocks.
Recipe Update: This is a desperate cinnamon roll. I’m a cinnamon roll lover – but the problem is that one, they are so good I eat like 3 or 4 in one day. And two, they aren’t that good for you. This recipe solves both problems. You only make one at a time and the main ingredient is whole grain oats. Now, it doesn’t quite taste like a cinnamon roll per se. But, I think some fruit on the bottom would be very tasty.
Now, if you want real cinnamon rolls, then I have LOTS of those recipes!
Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls
Light Cinnamon Rolls
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Oatmeal Cinnamon Roll
1/4 cup fresh or frozen fruit (optional)
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup milk (regular or almond)
1/4 cup applesauce
1 Tb. chopped pecans (optional)
1/2 Tb. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
dash of cloves if you like those
2 oz. Greek yogurt, plain
1 Tb. powdered sugar or maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 375 or convection oven to 350. Spray a ramekin with baking or cooking spray. The ramekin should be about 8 oz. Or you could even use a coffee mug that is oven safe.
2. Add your fruit if you are using it.
3. Mix your oats, milk, applesauce, pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon and cloves in a bowl. Pour those into your ramekin.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool. Flip onto plate after a couple minutes.
5. To make the “frosting”, mix your yogurt and powdered sugar together. I think next time I might try maple syrup, or just use syrup and skip the yogurt! It was fun though and made it more like a cinnamon roll.
Recipe adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie
what a fun breakfast!