Book Update: Completely finished “Allegiant” (Book 3) by Veronica Roth! What I can tell you is DON’T read this book. What a waste… just a waste. Wow. Where to start? The plot is full of holes. The characters don’t make any sense between the first two books and this book. The narration is changed from third to first person, and narration changes between Tris and Tobias. Of course, this would be fine if you could actually figure out WHO is talking in the first place. Everyone out there was probably flipping to the head of the chapter to remind themselves who was narrating just like I was. And the science? What science? It’s science fiction, so apparently she made stuff completely up that makes NO sense at all about genetics. I expect the movie to be a huge success, but have great doubts that a second or third movie will be made.
Recipe Update: I have been looking a long time to replace our store-bought sandwich bread. Ezekiel bread is healthy… but I can buy a 5 pound sack of flour for what one loaf costs. Most whole wheat breads taste very… wheat-y, or the crust is tough, or the shape does not work for sandwiches. There are several no-knead breads out there, but they must be made in a 8×4″ loaf pan or they won’t work for sandwiches very well. This recipe works for several reasons:
1. The orange juice tames the wheat flavor.
2. You don’t have to knead the dough by hand.
3. There are no artificial colors, preservatives or flavors.
4. There is only one rise time.
5. The bread is soft like the grocery store (though probably more dense than the Healthy Life we normally buy). Without additions of vital wheat gluten and other stabilizers they use to get an airy piece of bread, I don’t think anything else could compete at home as closely as this recipe.
6. The shape has the sandwich bread shape.
7. The crust is soft like sandwich bread.
100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
1 cup lukewarm water
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup melted butter or oil
3 tablespoons molasses, maple syrup or dark corn syrup
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
1 and 1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups (12.75 oz.) whole wheat or white whole wheat flour
1. Spray a 8×4, or 8.25″x4.25″ loaf pan with lots of cooking spray. Yes, you NEED this pan to make sandwich size bread. You can use a 9×5″ pan, but the result will be a different shaped loaf.
2. Dump everything into your mixing bowl. Seriously.
3. Beat on medium high for 3 minutes. The dough will be really, really sticky and lumpy. That’s okay. Put dough into the pan.
4. Spray a piece of plastic wrap with some cooking spray and cover the bread up. Rise time is 60-90 minutes. Possibly less if using Red Star Platinum Yeast.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Put the bread in the oven (without the plastic wrap obviously). Bake for 20 minutes. Put a piece of foil over the bread to keep the top from getting too brown. Bake another 20-25 minutes.
7. Take the bread out of the oven and cool about 10 minutes. Let the bread cool more on a wire rack.
8. Store in a bread bag or ziplock bag.
Recipe from King Arthur Flour
i definitely want to try this! and did she really just make all that stuff up? i figured she did, but hoped there was SOMETHING true there. oh well. it’s too bad, because that book could have been good. the first was the best, in my opinion.
Mary Ellen says
Yes, I agree! The first is the best and I would still read them. The science and the genetics just doesn’t make any sense. **SPOILER ALERT** The premise she proposes is that throwing together all these people with “genetic damage” to breed will eventually lead to “healed genes”. Like if we were to throw everyone in a city together with blue eyes in order to eventually end up with no blue eyed people. You breed animals and plants to pass on a trait. Not to weed it out. In general…