Good morning! My husband loved this banana bread and the kids are very fond of banana as well. The “Cooking Light” people did a different take on banana bread by caramelizing the sugars in the bananas first before mashing them into the quick bread recipe. I left off the glaze, but certainly feel free to put it on!
- 4 Tb. butter, softened (or only 3 Tb. if not making glaze)
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 medium bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 Tb. canola, vegetable or grapeseed oil
- 2 Tb. rum or gold rum
- 2 eggs
- 9 oz. (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. half and half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 3 Tb. of butter in a great big skillet and melt it. At medium-high heat, add the dark brown sugar and bananas. Cook 4 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.
- With a mixer, mix the bananas on medium until smooth.
- In a great big bowl, mix buttermilk, oil, rum and eggs.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Alternate adding the dry stuff (flour mixture) and bananas with the wet stuff (milk ingredients). Always begin and end with the flour mixture when alternating. Bake 1 hour. Cool and eat!
- To make the glaze: Melt the 1 Tb. of butter left in a skillet over medium high for about 3 minutes. Do this in a shiny pan. You can't see the color change well in a non-stick pan. It will begin to brown. Take it off the heat. Pour in the powdered sugar and half and half. Whisk together. Pour over the bread.
sarah k @ the pajama chef says
this looks amazing! i love trying new kinds of banana bread.