I finished “The Chaperone” by Laura Moriarty. I was pretty good and neat to read about the era of silent movies and prohibition.
I was trying to use up my carrots and pineapple and arrived at this recipe. If you like pineapple and coconut combos, then you will like this recipe!
- 1 cup AP flour (or white whole wheat)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or white whole wheat)
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger (optional)
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup or 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (or sub applesauce)
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 and 1/2 cups grated carrots (about 3 medium to large ones. I use a small grate.)
- 1/2 cup plus additional sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup of pineapple cut into small chunks or drained from a can
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prep your muffin pan with cupcake liners or baking spray. This recipe makes 18 muffins.
- In a great big bowl, mix the dry stuff: flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger.
- In a medium size bowl, mix the wet stuff: milk, applesauce, brown sugar, oil or applesauce, egg and vanilla.
- Add wet to dry. Stir until just combined and leaving streaks of flour.
- Add the carrots, 1/2 cup coconut and pineapple. Stir gently.
- Scoop into the muffin about 3/4 - to almost full.
- Sprinkle more coconut on top. Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on cooling rack. Store at room temperature or freeze for later.
Recipe from Kitchen Treaty