Books: I am doing another presentation on “Making Your Favorite Foods Healthy” at the library. I’m very excited about sharing all the wonderful recipes and techniques I have accumulated in making foods healthier. The idea all started when I made brownies from black beans and no flour and no butter. The first section of the presentation will be food substitutions like applesauce for oil – and WHEN to use the substitution. Helps to know from someone that has done it like 50 times instead wasting the ingredients yourself! 🙂
OR IF YOU HAVE AN UNUSUAL SUBSTITUTION – LET ME KNOW! I would love to hear about it and share it!
The second section will be about food techniques. Cooking with fewer calories and/or less fat requires another way of cooking sometimes. This way people can have their lower calorie food and eat it, too. 🙂
Or there is always ……
The Twinkie Diet! He lost 27 pounds eating Twinkies. This sounds yummy… but might get boring. Not convinced? His cholesterol actually got better, too 😉
Recipe: Instead of the typical pie pastry, I wanted a graham cracker crust. LOVED this crust. This will be my go to graham cracker crust from now on. Flavorful and easy! Most recipes for graham cracker crust use
Now, I wouldn’t make it with fresh strawberry pie again – the strawberry filling made the graham crust pretty soft which is probably why strawberry pie is made with pie pastry instead. I will use this from on in my pudding pies and anything else that needs a graham cracker crust.
The photo is of a graham crust that will be slightly smaller than yours. I only had 8 sheets of graham crackers and didn’t want to run out to get 2 more. It turned out great anyway!
- 40 graham crackers (10 cookie sheets)
- 2 Tb. sugar
- 2 Tb. butter, melted
- 1 large egg white
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the graham crackers to a plastic bag for crushing or to a food processor. Let the food processor run about 30 seconds, or until everything turns to crumbs.
- Pour in the sugar, butter and egg white.
- Pulse the food processor until the mixture comes together and is moist. About 5 pulses.
- Spray a 9″ pie plate with cooking spray.
- Pour the crumb mixture into the plate and press it around the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Bake 15 minutes