Book Update: “I hate affected, niminy-piminy chits!”
Louisa May Alcott said it. Not me! Ahhh, you gotta love those non-conforming transcendentalists. Oh wait. Everyone conformed before the 1960’s. Right? 😉
This is a new favorite find at Trader Joe’s. Organic Brown Rice and Quinoa Spaghetti Pasta. My kids would never eat the whole wheat spaghetti pasta I purchased at the normal grocery store, but they do like eating this! Tastes great and a fast meal with the Three Cheese Pasta Sauce.
Recipe: So… this recipe is awesome because….
1. You make it in the slow cooker. I needed something ready to eat after Easter service, so I threw this in the crockpot before getting ready and heading off.
2. It’s easy peasy and no fuss ingredients.
3. You can turn it into more of a soup by adding more chicken broth. Or you can use it as nacho toppings. Or you can eat it as a thickened chicken chili.
4. It is DEE-licious.
5. You can freeze the whole meal before you cook it. You can make 2-3 of these to stash in the freezer for a quick meal later. Or, freeze the leftovers!
6. And I’m making it again tonight.
So there you have it and why you should make it! Now print it, pin it, or whatever you want. You need to make this. And yes, I vote for purchasing smoky paprika. Sooooo good and smells heavenly. Most paprika I buy has no flavor or scent, just a red color. But the smoky paprika always added some nice smoky notes to my food without me having to actually smoke the food. Or just use what you got! I usually have most of the ingredients for this dish.
- 16 ounces (or 1 -14 oz. can) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes (or use Rotel if you like spicy)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or pizza seasoning if you're out of oregano)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cans (15 oz.) pinto beans or light or dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 (about 2 lbs.) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- In a slow cooker, dump all of the ingredients with the chicken breasts on top nestled into the ingredients below.
- Cook on low 3-4 hours. Shred chicken inside crock pot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips, corn tortillas, chopped scallions, salsa, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado, guacamole
Recipe adapted from http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/slow-cooker-shredded-chicken-chili/