We have a new favorite craft blog. An elementary art teacher has posted many of her art projects that the students do in class. Need an idea for rainy summer day? Check out Art. Paper. Scissors. Glue. The crafts are even tagged by grade level and medium. If you have some basic paint brushes, paints, pencils, paper and oil pastels – you can make almost everything she posts.
Recipe: The kids LOVE chocolate for breakfast. After making these Granola Blueberry Muffins, I thought it would be fun to make a chocolate version using chocolate granola. It is sweet, crunchy and chocolatey. Use the granola for your yogurt topping, breakfast bowl, to make granola bars, or snack on during the day.
The original recipe for this stated to bake at 350 degrees. I tried that and 300 degrees – but they all burned. Make sure the oven on granola never goes above 300 degrees. Low and slow!
I think this would be great with some dried cherries thrown in! I love cherry and chocolate together.
Make some today or make a big batch and share with a friend as a gift in a jar!
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 pinch kosher or sea salt
- 3 cups old fashioned whole rolled oats,
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (your choice of white, dark or semisweet)
- Optional: ground cinnamon, coconut, almonds, dried cherries, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, etc.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Lay a silicone mat or parchment paper onto a rimmed cookie sheet.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, melt coconut oil. Add cocoa powder, brown sugar, honey and salt. Whisk together.
- Pour oats into a great big bowl. Add optional ingredients like coconut or nuts also at this time. Add the cocoa mixture and mix with a spatula until the oats are are completely coated with the cocoa mixture.
- Spread this onto a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes – stir every 10 minutes.
- For melty chocolate, remove from the oven and add the chocolate chips immediately. For whole, chunky chocolate chips let the granola cool in the oven about 30 minutes and then add the chips.