Exercise: I keep forgetting to add an exercise update! Here is Abs on Fire – a routine that does rounds of abs and rounds of cardio for 30 minutes. Like everything on there, it is totally free and they don’t sell you anything. Just preach real food and good exercise routines 🙂
Kid #1 used to eat oatmeal with me EVERY morning. It was part of our daily routine for the most part. I forget when it happened, but now he hates oatmeal. He doesn’t like the taste, texture or anything. So… being sneaky I made these pancakes made almost entirely out of the same old fashioned oats you get at the store. Costco carries them 10 pounds for $7.99! That’s 7 cents per serving!
Now, if you need *gluten free* oats, do not get Quaker Oats because they are not certified gluten free – or have not yet. Trader Joe’s does carry certified gluten free old-fashioned oats.
Everyone loved these and didn’t even realize they were made with oats!
Recipe: To make your own oat flour, you can place about 2 and 1/2 cups of old fashioned oats into a blender or food processor. Blend until it turns into flour. This should yield about 2 cups of oat flour.
- 2 cups oat flour
- ¾ cup white whole wheat, whole wheat or oat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)
- 2 cups buttermilk*
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 Tb. melted butter or applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- In a great big bowl, mix the dry stuff: flour(s), baking powder, baking soda, salt and optional cinnamon.
- In a not so great big bowl, mix the wet stuff: buttermilk, eggs, butter and vanilla.
- Add the wet stuff to the dry stuff. Stir until JUST combined. Leave the lumps.
- Allow to sit and absorb while the skillet or griddle heat up.
- Heat griddle to 350 degrees or skillet to medium heat. Add a little butter to the pan if it is not non-stick. Pour a ¼-1/2 cup batter. Cook until bubbles form (1-2 minutes). Flip. Cook another 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
- Uneaten pancakes can cool on wire racks and then be frozen in freezer bags. To eat in the morning, microwave for 1 minute, flipping halfway.