Book: Still reading “When to Rob a Bank” and having to explain each time that I’m not really going to rob a bank! And the one small chapter about robbing banks basically is that there is no good day to rob a bank (duh) and that there is a way to do it. But most of us who have worked for a bank know the answer – and so do our superiors. That’s why 2 week vacations are mandatory and cannot be split into 2 – 1 week vacations. If you want the answer, you’ll have to read the book 🙂
Recipe: I love a good homemade granola bar. We still make and love these trail mix bars from a few years ago. Although it is hard to beat some of the Costco deals on granola bars… even the KIND bars are still $1 each. So, here is a yummy alternative to have granola bars at your fingertips!!
Why I loved this recipe:
1. It is so simple – kids can make it! They can measure and add the ingredients to the bowl.
2. No baking required.
3. I know all the ingredients going in
4. We can change the ingredients to our tastes
Different ways to change these up:
1. substitute another nut butter or soy butter for peanut butter
2. Use any dried fruit you like: dried cranberries, dried pineapple, chopped dried apricots, etc.
3. Use nuts instead of raisins
3. Use dark chocolate or milk chocolate instead of semi-sweet
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup (3 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 and ¼ cups old fashioned oats
- ¾ cup rice crisp cereal (Crisp Rice by Trader Joe's, Kellogg's Rice Krispies)
- ¾ cup raisins (or craisins, nuts, seeds, dried pineapple, etc.)
- 1 Tb. mini chocolate chips or marshmallow bits
- Lay parchment, non-stick foil or wax paper into a 8x8", 9x9", 7x11" or equivalent size pan. It should hang off the sides for easy removal later.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, microwave the coconut oil and chocolate chips in 30 second intervals. Stir each 30 seconds. After 60-90 seconds, the chocolate should be melted or almost melted. Keep stirring and it will all melt together.
- Add the peanut butter and stir until smooth. If it will not melt together, put it back in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Add the oats, cereal and raisins (or mix ins). Fold the mixture together with a spatula. Try not to crush the cereal.
- Pour the mixture into the pan . Use the back of the spatula to gently press the bars into the pan. Pop in the fridge for 2 hours to firm up. Lift them out of the pan, cut and eat! Keep covered in the fridge for longer term storage.