Good Morning! It is our First Day of School here!
Book: I finished “Big Little Lies” by Liane Moriarty. I think her last name rocks! What a fun last name, don’t you think? But anyway, the book is hilarious, the ending is jaw dropping and the conclusion perfect. Great beach read and fun fiction.
Here’s a photo of my reading buddy, Oreo 🙂
Recipe: After making Cauliflower Fried “Rice”, I thought we would try a Mexican version to go with our beef enchilada burritos. That recipe is next! The food processor makes this super simple to pulse into little bits of rice. Everything is made in the skillet in less than 15 minutes! You can make this one day and store it in the fridge or freezer – it reheats great. The recipes makes enough for 7-8 servings, so you could freeze some of it if it is too much food for the week.
Mexican Cauliflower Rice can be served inside a lunch burrito, a breakfast burrito, a side dish to chimichangas, tacos, enchiladas, dinner burritos, taco lasagna, Mexican beef casserole, quesadillas, taco chili, etc. Add a can of black beans on top tossed with a little cumin and chili powder for a veggie and protein dinner.
I used salsa verde and a green bell pepper in this recipe. But feel free to use what salsa and bell peppers that you have on hand.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 Tb. olive oil or bacon fat
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Cut off the florets from the cauliflower head. Chop into same size chunks. Pulse the cauliflower in the food processor about 15 times – about the size of rice. This will take 2-3 batches.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes or onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and spices. Cook thirty seconds.
- Add the cauliflower rice and salsa. Put the lid on the skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Cook 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and salt and pepper to taste. Add tomatoes and cilantro. Serve warm.
- Alternatively, you could mix everything together into a baking dish and bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees – being sure to stir halfway through.