My kids have a thing for Sloppy Joes. I have a thing for super easy mixes that are all ready to go in my pantry! I ran out of my Wildtree Sloppy Joe Mix and tried to make my own. This is pretty close.
I try to keep my pantry pretty simple, and we always have the basics to make homemade sloppy joe mix. Or, make a large amount for a jar to give to friends and family! Spice mixes like taco seasoning and sloppy joe mix are great to have on hand for a quick 20 minute dinner.
Add this mixture to chili dogs, mustard, in a pie crust, in a flattened biscuit like a hand pie, or of course as sloppy joes!
- 2 Tb. brown sugar
- 1 Tb. onion powder ** (or cook a diced onion with the meat)
- 1 Tb. paprika ** (I prefer smoked paprika)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Needed to make the Sloppy Joes:
- 1 lb. ground beef, cooked
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 6 oz. tomato paste (or omit, but we really like it)
- 1 Tb. mustard
- 2 Tb. apple cider or white vinegar
- Mix and enjoy!
- When ready to make sloppy joes, brown 1 pound of ground beef.
- Add the spice mix, 8 ounce can of tomato sauce, 2 Tb. tomato paste, ½ cup water, 1 Tb. mustard and 2 Tbs. cider vinegar (plain white vinegar works, too).
- Simmer over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve on buns with mac and cheese, green beans, cole slaw, etc.
- *One alternative is to add ground dry mustard to the mix and omit from adding the 1 Tb. mustard later.
Leave a Reply