There were over 200,000 Instant Pots sold on Amazon on Prime Day. I have been posting about it since I received mine this winter and thought I would compile.
Use these recipes as guides. The shredded chicken can be used with BBQ sauce, salsa or just plain to freeze for later. The rice pudding can be made using the Rice or Brown Rice instructions and served for a side dish with fish or a stir fry.
I realized I have made pot roast in the pressure cooker half a dozen times and never posted it! Here is the pot roast we make. Cut into chunks for beef stew and faster cooking times 🙂
Forget to put the 3 pound roast in the slow cooker this morning? Make it in the Instant Pot tonight! We think it tastes BETTER than the slow cooker. Plus you get the added health benefits of the pressure cooker. Woo hoo!
For this recipe, I combined the list of America’s Test Kitchen’s pot roast ingredients with the method of a pressure cooker. America’s Test Kitchen know their stuff. If I had to have just one cookbook to carry with me on a deserted island, it would be “Cook’s Illustrated” by America’s Test Kitchen.
For Beef Stew, I basically follow the same recipe. I toss a few tablespoons of flour in there and the meat is already chopped of course. Then, I cook it on high in the pressure cooker for 20 minutes.
- 1 Tb. olive oil
- 3 lb. chuck roast (I have used bottom round and top round too), trimmed of fat
- 1-2 onions, quartered
- 1 carrot, 1" pieces (or I use 1 cup baby carrots)
- 1-2 celery ribs, 1" pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 Tb. tomato paste (freeze the rest for later)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of thyme or 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp, kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1-2 russet potatoes or red potatoes, 1" chunks (optional)
- 1 cup water or beef broth or chicken broth
- ½ cup frozen peas (optional)
- Put your oil in the instant pot and hit "sauté". Once hot, trim the meat on all sides. Turn machine off.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except peas) into the pot. Seal the pot and make sure the toggle is on "seal" instead of "vent."
- Put the machine on "Beef" or use "Manual" and cook on high pressure for 70 minutes.
- Once finished, vent using the quick release method.
- If you want to add peas, simply add them now and close the lid. They will cook in the pot for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm and eat!