Snowmagedon 2019 is here!! We hardly ever get snow – now we have 12″ and some places of 20″!! This does not happen in St. Louis very often.
Of course this means SOUP! I wanted a warm, healthy bowl of soup I could eat and eat and not feel guilty. Here is your no guilt soup that can be easily modified for ZERO weight watcher points. I added beans for fiber and protein, but you could use edamame instead. I used a mixed vegetable frozen mix, but you could substitute green beans instead and again it would make this zero points for the soup.
Serve with a grilled cheese, or Parmesan on top, or baguette or totally on its own or with a quick protein drink. I tried out 1st Phorm Caramel Latte and it is SOOOO good!!!! They even have Ice Cream Sandwich, Milk Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream flavors!!! I know I know protein drinks taste terrible. But I am a huge skeptic and it is actually good. I was even skeptical of the reviews because you know those can be faked and I think they are real because it is really that smooth and creamy.
This soup makes a LOT so feel free to cut it in half or just eat it throughout the week like I did!
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded (1 bag of coleslaw mix is more than enough)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 2 cups frozen vegetable mix: green beans, carrots, peas and corn
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 8 cups vegetable, chicken or beef broth
- 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can of red kidney beans or white, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 3 cups broccoli florets (frozen or room temperature)
- 1 Tb. lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a stock pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and celery. Cook 5 minutes or until translucent
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add cabbage, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, frozen vegetables and mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, beans, and all of the spices/seasonings. Bring this to a boil and boil 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli and boil 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice or vinegar, salt and pepper. Enjoy!