Good morning everyone! Happy Ice Storm Day from here in the Midwest! We need a little hint of summer and this is the perfect! You can make this SUPER easy salad in winter with canned black beans and frozen mango. You can find frozen mango in the frozen fruit section of the grocery store – sometimes you will see it next to smoothie fruit packs as well.
Why make this dish?
- It is a quick lunch – you have protein and vitamins in one bowl with no heating required!
- It is delicious!
- You can serve it as a side dish with tacos, enchiladas, nachos, etc.
- You could put it on tortilla chips for a quick salsa!
- 2 cans (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 and 1/2 cups frozen or fresh mango, diced
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 lime
- 1 cup chopped cherry or grape tomatoes (optional and tasty when in season!)
- In a large bowl, mix the beans, mango, onion, bell pepper, cilantro, spices, salt and optional chopped tomatoes.
- Squeeze half a lime into the bowl. Gently toss. The salad is ready to eat! Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- For dietary reasons, if you need to add fat, you can stir in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.