I had to share another success recipe from Flavcity 🙂 Everything I’ve made from Flavcity has been a big hit. The kids weren’t thrilled with wild rice…. big surprise. And the looooong list of salad ingredients comes together much faster than you think. The kids put together the dressing and we had a meal in less than 45 minutes!
Several notes about this recipe if you would like to read them —
- The Instant Pot makes this recipe easier because it cooks rice faster, but that equipment is totally unnecessary! I just mention it as one option.
- Feel free to substitute ingredients as you see fit. No pepitas? Leave them out! Oranges are awesome this time of year and I loved them in the salad – so I will add more next time.
- This recipe was originally conceived as a meal prep recipe. So if you have 5 lunch containers, you can split the recipe 5 ways and have lunch for the whole week!
- If you want vegetarian, you can skip the chicken. The salad is delicious as is – or you could add some kidney beans for added protein.
- FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 5 boneless/skinless chicken breast
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp.dried thyme
- olive oil - if cooking on stove top
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 cup wild rice - not cooked, comes in 8 oz. packages sometimes
- 2 c broccoli florets
- 2 c cauliflower florets
- 2 T pepitas pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives finely sliced
- 2 c snow peas sliced diagonally
- 1 orange - peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 carrots - peel and grate or buy 1/2 cup grated carrot
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1 tsp. grated ginger, fresh
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1/2-1 tsp. lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 T orange juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- For chicken, mix the spices and sprinkle on chicken. Cook in a large skillet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until internal temperature is 165 degrees. In the instant pot, pour in 1 cup water, add chicken, add spices and cook on high pressure 15 minutes.
- For salad, cook wild rice according to the directions on the bag. I used my instant pot at high pressure with 1 cup rice to 1.5 cups water for 15 minutes and natural release 10 minutes. Roast the broccoli and cauliflower on a rimmed cookie sheet (sprayed first with oil) at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Once cooked and cooled, add the broccoli and cauliflower to a very large bowl. Add the remaining salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Add dressing to the salad.
- Gently fold the dressing with the salad. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.