It has been a loooooooooooong time since I posted cornbread! Here is a super yummy and delicious cornbread recipe that does NOT require a whole stick of butter and a cup of sugar in it. This is just plain, simple and healthy cornbread. The youngest WhiskTogether kid made this herself in a bowl and didn’t need a lot of extra help because it is super simple!
There are weights in the ingredient list because many bakers prefer them since it gives us all an accurate reading. If you haven’t tried them – it is an easy “way” to measure all of your ingredients without getting out a ton of measuring cups too! Just pour until the baking scale reads the right amount. You can find them almost anywhere for super cheap. King Arthur Flour has all of their recipes using scales which make baking easier this time of year.
Normally, trying to substitute the butter for something healthier and this leads to gummy bread. So, it has taken me a looooong time to get this one right. The texture is perfect – it isn’t gummy at all. The bread looks and crumbs like normal cornbread.
Since the weather is cold again – bring on the chili and cornbread! Or serve this up at Thanksgiving with a side of honey and butter. Or mix them up and make honey butter!
This is great for about 9 servings of cornbread. For a large crowd, I would double the recipe into a 7×11″ pan. You can also cook this in a 10″ skillet for that rustic look!
- 1 and 1/4 cup cornmeal 150 grams by weight
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour or whole wheat flour 60 grams by weight
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tb. butter melted, cooled slightly
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt, plain non-fat or whole fat
- 2 Tb. honey
- 1/4 cup milk
- Prep the pan first! Spray with cooking spray a 8x8" pan. Or prep a 10" cast iron skillet. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry stuff: cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together!
- In a medium bowl, whisk the wet stuff: butter, vanilla, yogurt, honey and milk.
- Add wet stuff to the dry stuff and stir to combine with a large spoon or spatula. Once combined, pour into the 8x8" pan or skillet.
- Put the pan into the oven for 18 minutes. A toothpick will come out of the center clean when the cornbread is done. Allow to cool. Serve with butter or honey.