Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Served at Olive Garden, this is a lighter version of the famous Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
- 1 Tb. olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced small
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced or diced
- 3 carrots, diced small *or chop up about 3/4 cup of baby carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large cooked chicken breast, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 6 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 16 ounces potato gnocchi
- 2 cups milk, low fat or whole or half and half
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
In a large pot or Dutch Oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion, celery and carrots. Stir and cook until the onion is translucent - about 5 minutes.
Add the minced garlic and stir 30 seconds.
Add the chicken breast and thyme. Stir gently for a minute to reheat the chicken if you are using precooked chicken from the fridge. Or you do not need to warm the chicken if it was precooked and never got cold
Add the broth and milk. Turn the heat up to medium-high and let the soup come up to a boil.
Turn the heat down to medium and add the gnocchi. Cook the gnocchi for 3 minutes if fresh or 5 minutes if frozen.
Add the milk and spinach. Continue to heat through and cook over medium heat until nice and hot. Add salt and pepper to taste!