This is a warm, simple, inexpensive and comforting dish. But don’t let the simplicity fool you! It is really delicious. It can be prepped the night before or that morning. You can add blueberries, walnuts, raisins, etc. to meet your taste. Be aware that this serves 6! It is too much food for our family and it does not reheat that wonderfully… so I would suggest making this in small containers and then freezing it before thawing overnight to bake in the morning.
Simple Baked Oatmeal
yields 6 servings – cut in half for smaller family size
1/3 cup butter or applesauce
2 large eggs
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup + 2 Tbs. milk
3 cups oatmeal ( regular or quick)
1. Melt the butter or pour applesauce into a greased 1 1/2 qt. baking dish.
2. Add eggs and beat.
3. Mix in brown sugar, baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Stir until there are no lumps.
4. Add the milk and then the oats.
5. Stir until it is mixed very well and put in the fridge overnight.
6. Bake at 350 degrees 35-45 minutes.
7. Serve with warmed milk on top and any other toppings you would like to add.