There are hundreds of tortilla soup recipes out there, but this has been a favorite of many guests of mine and is very easy and flavorful. I also like that it doesn’t call for pre-made mixes of taco seasoning or ranch dressing – I don’t care for mixes especially when they add preservatives and stuff to them in the factory. Very healthy and low in fat and calories too! Topping ideas are endless and add to the fun: salsa, chopped red onion, cheddar cheese, tortilla chips (of course!), avocado or guacamole, etc. It also freezes very well.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
3 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1-½ teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
½ teaspoons Garlic Powder
½ teaspoons Salt
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 cup Diced Onion
¼ cups Diced Green Bell Pepper
¼ cups Red Bell Pepper
3 cloves Garlic, Minced
1 can (10 Oz. Can) Rotel Tomatoes And Green Chilies (for less heat/spiciness, use tomatoes with lime and cilantro)
32 ounces Low Sodium Chicken Stock (least expensive I found was at Aldi)
3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
2 cans (15 Oz. Can) Black Beans, Drained
3 Tbs. cornmeal
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix cumin, chili pepper, garlic powder and salt. Drizzle 1T olive oil on chicken breasts, then sprinkle a small amount on the chicken. Keep the rest. Bake chicken for 25 minutes or until it reaches for 165 degrees. I love my digital thermometer. Much easier to set it and leave and also much healthier knowing the food is cooked properly. Shred chicken.
2. Heat 1T olive oil in a pot over medium high. Add onions, red pepper, and green pepper. Cook until tender. Stir and add minced garlic and rest of spice mix. Add shredded chicken.
3. Pour in Rotel, chicken stock, tomato paste, and drained black beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Simmer 45 minutes uncovered.
4. Mix cornmeal with a little water. Pour into soup and simmer 30 minutes.
5. When serving, garnish with red onions, cheddar cheese, salsa and tortilla chips.
If you freeze this soup, it may need a little water added after thawing.
Come join SoupaPalooza at TidyMom and Dine and Dish sponsored by KitchenAid,Red Star Yeast and Le Creuset
Linked to http://tidymom.net/2012/best-soup-recipes/
Found you on the recipe exchange and saved this to my recipe clipper. I’m always looking for a good soup and I like the ingredients in this one.
Is that the ziplist recipe clipper? I just googled it and looks great! My recipe bookmarks keep growing and growing. Thanks for checking my website out!
Jamie | My Baking Addiction says
Oh how I love Chicken Tortilla Soup! This looks fantastic! Thanks so much for entering this recipe into the Holiday Recipe Exchange!
Lydia at Five4FiveMeals says
That looks fantastic! I love anything with b