Our local grocery store recently had a deal on hot dogs – $1 each – and I had a 50 cents off coupon. I bought 20 packages of hot dogs! So, I had to figure out how to use them. This recipe uses a whole package of hot dogs and is quick to assemble. It is made faster if you use a corn muffin mix like Jiffy. I just made the batter homemade because what’s another bowl to throw in the dishwasher? And it’s whole wheat instead of refined flour.
I would NOT recommend the corn muffin recipe below as a substitute for real corn muffins. They make a great topping for this recipe, but as muffins they come out heavy and hard like doorstops.
This recipe has been Man-tested and Man-approved!
Chili Cheese Corn Dog Casserole
yields 9 servings
1 pkg corn muffin mix (or see below for homemade/whole wheat version)
1 c. green bell pepper, diced
1/2 c. onion, diced
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 pkg. hot dogs, cut in bite-size pieces
1 can (15 oz) chili beans
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 c. cheddar cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the corn muffin mix per the directions on the box (or use recipe below). Spread half of the batter into a 8 or 9″ square pan.
2. Saute in large skillet the green bell pepper, onion and olive oil until the onions are translucent over medium heat.
3. Add bite-size hot dog pieces and stir in for 3-4 minutes.
4. Stir in chili beans, brown sugar, garlic powder, and chili powder. Heat through.
5. Stir in 3/4 c. of the cheddar cheese. Spoon the entire mixture into the square pan over the corn muffin batter.
6. Spoon the rest of the muffin batter on top of the chili beans mixture.
7. Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese on top. Bake another 3 minutes or just until the cheese begins to melt. Cool for a few minutes and serve.
Homemade Whole Wheat Corn Muffin Topping
1 c. cornmeal
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbs. honey
1/4 c. melted butter or margarine
1 cup buttermilk (or the old 1 Tbs. lemon juice and 1 cup of milk trick)
Stir together cornmeal, flour, powder and salt. Add the eggs, honey, melted butter and buttermilk. Stir until just combined. Don’t overmix.
[…] Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Chicken Marinade and Chicken Fajita Roll Up Chicken Tortilla Soup Chili Cheese Corn Dog Casserole Cinnamon Honey Butter Chocolate Mint Oreo Ice Cream Chocolate Mousse Ice Cream Doughnut Muffins […]
[…] Lunch – Chili Cheese Corndog Casserole […]
[…] Chili Cheese Dog Casserole […]