With school starting, it is a little more hectic in the morning and needing a quick breakfast is sometimes essential. These muffins are almost like morning glory muffins, but without the carrots and raisins.
**Updates on Recipes**
1. Bad News: I made the baked apple oatmeal with the oatmeal sitting overnight, so all I would have to do is throw it in the oven the next morning. The texture was really bad. I wouldn’t recommend making it the night before.
2. Good News: I used my honey whole wheat roll bread dough to make some cinnamon rolls. They tasted AWESOME! What a great way to make healthier cinnamon rolls with whole wheat flour. Of course, I made the dough in the bread machine which made it extra easy. I even let them all sit in the fridge overnight instead of the 30 minute rise, and this worked out great.
3. I found and purchased Kellogg’s Whole Grain Brown Rice Krispies. I have seen the ingredient for years listed in healthy cookbooks, but could never find the product. Reviews on Amazon are really good or really bad. I guess we will see! I didn’t notice they had BHT in them. I always have to shop with kiddos – sigh – can’t win them all! Of course Kellogg’s has to ruin a product like they always do.
Apple Pecan Muffins
yield 15 muffins
2 cups oats
1 and 1/4 cup AP flour or white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 Tb. lemon juice and add milk until hits 1 cup mark)
2 Tb. oil or applesauce
1 cup shredded apple (2 apples; you may want to stash this in water spiked with a little lemon juice to prevent browning)
1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a great big bowl: mix oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
3. In not so big of a bowl: mix buttermilk, oil and egg.
4. Add wet to dry and mix together a little bit. Then add shredded apple and pecans. Stir until just barely combined. Some flour showing is okay.
5. Bake 23-25 minutes.
sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more says
well yummy, I think back to school just screams out for muffins:)
Where did you find the whole grain brown rice crispies?
Mary Ellen says
They were at Walmart. I went to get bread and Rice Krispies and there they were right next to them! I’ve been looking for that for ages.