I made these on homemade baguettes. That recipe will be next! Why homemade baguettes? Because I’m too lazy to run to the store when I can dump the ingredients into my bread machine.
These sandwiches are awesome and you DON’T need to make your own baguettes! You DO need to make these sandwiches. Please, pretty please. They are delicious, and easy and great for leftovers. Add the chicken to soup, or a tortilla or keep making sandwiches! Freeze the contents and always have sandwich fixin’s on hand.
(I forgot to add the cheese before taking the photo!)
This recipe will easily feed a crowd as well – just increase the cooking time and add more of everything. Slow cookers are great to serve from since they keep things hot. Serve with fries, slaw, chips, veggie sticks, salad or with a soup.
- 1 tsp. paprika (regular or smoked, I like smoked)
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. coriander
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes (omit if you don't like spicy)
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 2 bell peppers (any color), sliced into strips
- 1 yellow or white onion, sliced into strips
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs
- ½ cup water or chicken broth
- sliced provolone
- baguettes or hoagie buns
- In a small bowl, combine the spices.
- Add the peppers and onion to the slow cooker. Sprinkle half of the spice mixture on top.
- Add the chicken onto the peppers and onion. Sprinkle the rest of the spices on top.
- Pour the water or broth into the slow cooker on the side so that the spices don't come off the chicken.
- Cook chicken breasts for 3-4 hours on low. Cook chicken thighs for 4-5 hours on low.
- Towards the end of cooking time, slice the buns or baguette in half lengthwise. Shred the chicken in the slow cooker with some tongs and place on top of the bun. Add cheese. Top with a bun, or broil it with the cheese and then place the top on.