My son has made this twice now and I realized I made it last year without ever posting it! It is really good and if a 10 year old can make granola – YOU can too! Granola is sooo easy to make and sooo expensive at the store. Feel free to also check out our
Chocolate Granola or Oats and Honey Granola!
If you love peanut butter but have an allergy in the house – use sunflower butter instead.
So far we have made this FOUR times! They just can’t get enough and been trying different combinations of sweeteners and additions. My kids cannot wait to add chocolate chips and we end up with melted chocolate clusters of granola instead of “chocolate chip” granola. I am pretty sure nobody else minds though. 🙂
Make a banana yogurt parfait, pour in some milk, eat it as a snack, top ice cream with it, make some cookies or muffins with it – the list is endless!
- 6 cups old-fashioned oats (or gluten free oats for gluten free)
- 4 Tb. sugar
- ½ cup olive oil, grapeseed oil or coconut oil
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup maple syrup or honey
- ⅔ cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Optional: pecans, almonds, or dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prep a large rimmed cookie sheet or two small rimmed cookie sheets. You can line them with parchment or nothing at all. I use silicone mats for easy cleanup.
- In a great big bowl, mix up the dry ingredients: oats and sugar.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, warm the oil, peanut butter and maple syrup for about 30 seconds. Stir until well combined.
- Drizzle the warm mixture over the oats. Stir and fold gently to coat the oats.
- Pour the oats now onto the cookie sheets. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Gently stir every 10-15 minutes. Sometimes the granola will take longer. It should be a little darker and fragrant. Watch closely at the end because it burns fast. When I do a big batch, I have to bake it for 30 minutes since it is not spread out.
- Once golden brown, take it out of the oven and cool. Add the chocolate chips while warm if you want them to melt. Or wait for it to cool to have in tact chocolate chips. Store in an air-tight container in the pantry. Or freeze if you will not need it for a few weeks.
- Enjoy on yogurt, with milk, in a smoothie, on a smoothie bowl, with bananas or even ice cream!
This looks so yummy! I’ll have to try it. 🙂