Happy Spring Break!!! We just started spring break here and the kids are SOOOO excited! I was happy just to turn my alarms off this morning for the rest of the week! 🙂 My favorite alarm app is “Gentle Alarm” because it is very quiet and vibrates. The song gets louder and louder the longer it plays – plus it has a peaceful nature background each new day.
It has been a week since Pi Day and we have been testing out Pi Pie recipes. This new one is a twist on the chicken pot pie I grew up with Cream of Chicken and mixed vegetables. Here in this recipe you use only one pie crust instead of two and lots of healthy sweet potatoes. Instead of cream of chicken, a broth and cornstarch mixture is used to thicken the mixture before popping it into the oven.
I hope enjoy this pie recipe or use it for inspiration on your own Pi Pies! I have started doubling all of our recipes since the kids are getting older and I went back to work. I made this one and made my normal pot pie with frozen mixed veggies, cornstarch and chicken broth with some garlic powder, 21 seasoning salute, salt and pepper. Yum yum! Or you can freeze them in the freezer for longer storage up to 3 months. Just be sure to keep them airtight with plastic wrap to avoid freezer burn.
Interested in Pi? Head over to my other website mrsrileysclass.com and find more math info.
For email users, click on the link to see the recipe!
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked
- 1 Tb. butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots,peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tb. cornstarch
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 pie crust or puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a pie pan with cooking spray and place it on top of a rimmed cookie sheet to catch any drips.
- Shred or dice the cooked chicken into bite size pieces. You can cook the chicken in the oven, microwave, pot of water or Instant Pot.
- In a large pot, heat the butter over medium heat until melted. Add the onion, carrots, celery and sweet potato. Cook about 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are soft and tender. Add the garlic and dried thyme and cook 1 minute.
- In the measuring cup with the chicken broth, stir the cornstarch until mixed. Add the salt, pepper and chicken broth mix. Cook over medium to medium high heat until the mixture is simmering in order to thicken it.
- Add peas and cooked chicken. Stir until combined.
- Pour everything from the pot into the pie pan.
- Top with a pie crust or sheet of puff pastry. Add vent holes with a knife to let the steam out.
- Bake for 20-25 for pie crust. Bake 10-15 minutes for puff pastry.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Leave a Reply