Happy New Year Everyone! I hope you all had a great couple of three day weekends or some time off.
I have my photography website up and running again! I took it down after my last child was born and her bedroom took over the indoor studio. Some of my absolute favorite photographs of the kids were in the studio and I want to set that up again.
Here’s the website at www.maryrileyphotography.com.
Here’s the business card I finished making. The large border is the trim that will later be cut off at the printing lab:
I have still been working out with my pals Daniel and Kelly for the past two years or so with great results! What I eat is still about the same. I was 135 pounds consistently from 2011-2013. From 2014-2015, I have been around 138 pounds. Sometimes 140 pounds. But, the jeans still fit (for the most part) and nothing else has changed but my routine. I think the extra 3 pounds is muscle. Jillian Michaels uses 3 pound weights in her routines. I purchased the Power Block weights* that Daniel and Kelly use. These weights go up to 48 pounds total which might attribute to the weight gain.
**Note: ALL of my Amazon links are not affiliated. At all. I make no money and just like linking to them so you know exactly how much the weights are. I live in the state of Missouri – which passed a law that made Amazon cease all affiliates here. For the weights, keep an eye on the price – it may change in January since a lot of exercise equipment goes on sale in January. Last January (2015), the price dropped $40 around the 16th.**
January will be a GREAT month for Exercise! Fitness Blender will do a new 60 minute workout every Monday. January 11th they post a new 1000 calorie workout, and Monday (the 4th) will be a new 5 day challenge!
If you are new to exercise, try the 5 day challenge! It is always fun and you can pick between high and low impact because Kelly and Daniel switch. All you ever need is a set of weights which can be dumb bells, medicine ball, sack of flour (5 pounds usually), a gallon of milk (though… the milk might go bad…), etc.
If you are not new to exercise, the 1000 calorie workouts are SO much work but you feel amazing afterwards. They are worth it and great if you are trying to get those last extra few pounds off. Or, if you miss a workout day like I did on Christmas – then I just went ahead and did a 1000 calorie workout on Saturday to make up for two days of workouts.
Here is a collection of some recipes we make all the time at home and are really healthy for you while tasting amazing.
Light & Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Nacho Chili
Green Lemonade (Kid Favorite!)
Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe:
One of my hubby’s favorite meals is chicken and rice. It was hard to find a recipe online that didn’t use cream of something soup or onion packet of MSG. Instead this comfort food classic was re-invented with using just ordinary pantry items and real food from the fridge.
Real food and real comfort. Whether trying to lose weight or just eat healthier – here is a go to way of making a homemade classic.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 carrots, chopped into ½" pieces
- 5 ribs of celery, chopped into ½" pieces
- 1 cup wild rice, brown rice or white rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into 1" pieces
- 4 Tb. butter
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground sage
- 4 Tb. flour
- 1 and ½ cups milk, warm preferably
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Into the pan, add the onion, celery, carrots, rice and broth.
- Cover pan with foil. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- In a medium pot on the stove, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, salt and sage. Stir together for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk. Keep on medium heat until the sauce becomes a little thicker.
- Once timer is up on the rice, add the raw chicken and sauce you just made. Stir together.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees. Cook 20 minutes. The chicken should all be cooked through. Cook longer if necessary.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Leave a Reply