This strawberry delight will work as a side dish or dessert. Love multi-tasking recipes! Cool and refreshing on a hot day.
Strawberry Crunch Squares
yields 12 servings
1 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans or almonds
1/2 cup melted butter
2 egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar
10 fluid ounces whipping cream, or 1 tub cool whip
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
2 cups sliced strawberries, crushed or 16oz. frozen strawberries, thawed
1. Preheat oven 300 degrees. Combine flour, brown sugar, nuts and melted butter. Spread in a 8×8 pan. Bake 20 minutes and stir a few times while baking. Cool mixture.
2. Press half to 2/3 of the mix into the 8×8 pan to create the crust.
3. Beat egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks form.
4. Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form, or have cool whip ready.
5. Fold together beaten egg white, whipped cream/cool whip, lemon juice and strawberries over crust.
6. Sprinkle the rest of the nut mixture on top.
7. Freeze 4 hours. Thaw 10 minutes or so before cutting into squares and serving.