Pucker up because these are tart, sweet and delicious! Many times I see these out and they have come from the Krusteez Lemon Bars Box. They are yummy and fast. But now looking at the ingredients, you find every Yellow # on the planet it seems, Palm Oil, and Partially Hydrogenated oils. Here is how to make some yummy ones from scratch using real food!
3/4 cup frozen butter
1 and 3/4 cup AP flour
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 tsp. kosher/coarse salt
1 and 1/3 sugar
3 T AP flour
1/4 tsp. kosher/coarse salt
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup whole milk
1. Take a 9×13 pan (I used pyrex) and butter it (not with the frozen butter, but fresh stuff). Then line with parchment paper. Turn the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Take a cheese grater with large holes or use the food processor and grate the frozen butter. It doesn’t take nearly as long with the food processor. Put in a small bowl.
3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, powdered sugar and salt together for the crust. Throw the butter in there and toss to combine and becomes big crumbs.
4. Press the butter/flour mix into the pan. Freeze 15 minutes. Bake 16-18 minutes.
5. In another large bowl (or the same one you just cleaned out for crust!): mix up the eggs, sugar, flour and salt. It should be smooth and not clumpy. Add juice and milk. Dump onto the hot crust.
6. Bake at **325** degrees for about 18 minutes or golden brown and bubbley. Let cool and cut into squares by lifting out the parchment. Store in fridge up to 2 days.
Recipe from “Martha Stewart Cookies”