This is a another lightened up recipe. Original bars were 260 calories each, 12 grams of fat and 7 grams of saturated fat. These lightened up Oatmeal Fudge Bars are 160 calories 6 grams of fat and 3.5 grams saturated fat. Chocolate lovers will LOVE them. The chocolate lovers in the house ate them up before I could take a photo, so this is the one that was left.
Oatmeal Fudge Bars (Light)
1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
4 Tb. unsalted butter, melt and cool
1/2 cup AP flour
1 and 1/2 tsp. instant espresso powder or coffee powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
4 oz (2 cups) mini marshmallows
1/4 cup skim milk
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Take your 8″ square or 9″ square pan and then pull a large piece of foil (or nonstick foil) out so that the edges hang off about 1-2″. This will let you remove the bars and cut them nicely. Use some cooking spray on the foil if it is regular foil.
2. In a medium bowl: whisk dry stuff: flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the melted butter and stir until crumbly. Set aside 1/4 cup. Put the rest in the 8″ pan and press down. Bake for 20 minutes and cool.
3. In a bowl, whisk the filling dry stuff: flour, espresso powder and salt.
4. In a large microwave bowl: mix chocolate chips, marshmallows and skim milk. Melt in the microwave and stir every 30 seconds or so. It should take 1-3 minutes to melt. Cool a couple minutes. Stir in vanilla and flour mixture.
5. Put the chocolate mallow mixture over the baked crust. Take the 1/4 cup of reserved sprinkle and put that on top. Bake 20 minutes. Cool 2 hours.
Recipe from “Comfort Food Makeovers” by America’s Test Kitchen
Leave a Reply