Yes, I know it’s summer. But here in St. Louis not so much! This morning it was 57 degrees outside with low humidity. In honor of breaking the coldest recorded temperature this year (and ironically we broke tons of records last year for being too hot), I am making and posting Cheeseburger Soup! This soup really does taste like a cheeseburger. It’s hearty, cheesy, meaty, warm and scrumptious. I served it with rolls and a salad. If it is hot where you are, then pin it for later! As for me, I am still shivering from being in the pool this evening. Burrrrrr.
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 onion, diced
3/4 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup diced celery (optional)
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
4 Tb butter, divided
3 cups chicken broth
4 cups diced and peeled potatoes (1/2″ size)
1/4 cup flour
16 oz. Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 and 1/2 cups milk
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown the beef. Set aside for later.
2. Add 1 Tb. of butter, the onions, carrots, and celery to the same saucepan you cooked the beef in. Cook about 10 minutes or until soft.
3. Add basil, parsley flakes, broth, potatoes and the cooked beef.
4. Boil, then simmer 10-12 minutes. The potatoes should be able to be poked with a fork when done.
5. While the mixture is simmer, throw the rest of the butter (3 Tb.) into a small skillet. Melt it over medium heat. Add the flour and cook and stir constantly until bubbly – about 5 minutes or less.
6. Add the butter/flour mix to the soup. Heat through on low for 2 minutes.
7. Add the cheese, milk, salt and pepper. Stir and heat over low or low/medium until cheese has melted.
8. Take the pot off of the heat and add the sour cream. Stir in and serve.
Adapted from Taste of Home
i made cheeseburger soup for the first time in january. never got around to posting it but it was phenomenal! now i wanna make it again soon 🙂