I have spent the past few evenings making cookies for “Amerikids” the musical. It is a play Wentzville Christian Church is performing this Sunday at 6pm. And…. there are cookies afterwards! The musical talent is awesome. Plus, it’s free!
I will take some more detailed photos and explain how to do the cookies step by step in another post.
Recipe: Strawberry season has hit St. Louis and we have lots of cool pick your own farms nearby like Thies Farm to pick fresh strawberries. These pancakes are PERFECT for those strawberries! Or blueberries! Or just eat them with syrup like my son does.
The pancakes have a few extra steps, but they were still easy and fun to make. The flavor is lemon heaven; the texture is light and fluffy.
The original recipe uses all-purpose flour and I use white whole wheat flour. Feel free to use whatever you like. They will be lighter with the all-purpose flour. I have also tried doubling this recipe with success. I like to have leftover pancakes to freeze and eat throughout the week.
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 and 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cooking apple (like Granny Smith), peel and grate
- 1 lemon, grate entire lemon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup (4.25 ounces) all purpose flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 2 Tb. butter, melted
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped (or cherries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.)
- sweetened whipped cream
- Before you do anything, in a medium bowl, mix the oats and buttermilk together. Set aside.
- Grate the apple and lemon.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry stuff: salt, baking soda, baking powder and flour.
- Add lemon, apple, egg and butter to the wet oat mixture.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingreidents. Stir until just combined.
- If using whole wheat flour, allow the wheat to soak for 5 minutes. If using all purpose, cook immediately.
- Pour batter in spoonfuls onto a hot non-stick (or buttered) skillet or griddle (I set my griddle for 350 degrees). Once bubbles form on top, flip and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with strawberries and whipped cream.