Two great teachable moments this morning:
a wonderful recipe AND cooking contest idea! The kids and I were watching “Worst Cooks in America” on the Food Network as the contestants were told how to make a dish. They watch the chef make it while taking notes and then have to create it themselves. Crepes are great because the batter can make 5-6 crepes when you cut the recipe in half. This gives the kids more times to mess up! My favorite quote: “I messed it up. Oh well, I’ll make another one.” Try, try again! Great way to push kids to believe they are capable.
What we learned:
-note taking skills
-how to use a blender
-taking something new and making it your own
-when it doesn’t come out right, just try again!
I have run out of Chopped ideas (we did a couple Chopped competitions… but it is a little difficult with a 7 year old) so when the kids asked to do this instead I thought it would be perfect.
Here is the contest (which wasn’t really a contest):
- I found a recipe that they could make on their own and we wouldn’t have TONS of leftovers. For this contest, I took the recipe below and cut it in HALF.
2. I made sure everything we needed was in the kitchen.
3. The kids got a pen and paper ready to take notes. I made them a crepe and presented it. Then they got to eat it!! This is one of their favorite parts and really got them motivated.
4. Next, I let them go at it! Each made their own crepes. The leftovers went on one plate and they used another plate for presentation. You can see the presentation in the photos.
5. Finally, eat!
- 1 cup strawberries, washed
- ½ tsp. zest of a lemon or orange (optional)
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or regular flour)
- 1 and ½ cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. oil
- ¼ tsp. vanilla optional
- whipped cream
- Since crepes cook very quickly, I cut and prep the strawberries first. Toss in a little sugar if you think they are not sweet enough and add zest if you would like. Set aside. We just used plain strawberries.
- Heat your griddle to 300 degrees or nonstick pan to medium low heat.
- Add the flour, milk, eggs, oil and optional vanilla to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Spray the pan with cooking spray. Add ¼ cup of batter to the griddle or pan. Cook 1 minute. Flip over. Cook another 30-60 seconds. Repeat until all of the batter is gone!
- Fill the crepes with fresh fruit, whipped cream or anything you like! Some yummy ideas are pie filling, PB and J, cooked apples, Nutella, mousse, etc.