You can also freeze these and thaw in the fridge. I would then toast them for a short time in the toaster —> Crispy waffles!
yield 12 4″ square waffles
1 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
3 Tbs. sugar
1 Tb. baking powder
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 3/4 c. milk
2 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil (I used applesauce)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat your waffle iron per the instructions from the manufacturer.
2. In large bowl: Whisk Together Dry stuff: flours, germ or flaxseed, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
3. In another medium, Whisk Together Wet Stuff: milk, bananas, oil or applesauce and vanilla. (Be sure to mash the bananas first. I tried to shortcut the procedure by just trying to mush them with the rest and created myself a long cut.)
4. Add wet to dry and mix until combined.
5. Load your waffle iron and cook through. Serve with syrup and sliced bananas.
adapted from mealmakerovermoms.com